Thursday, January 27, 2011

APEnglish Literature and Composition: January 24-February 4, 2011

Greetings APE's,

This week we have been exploring and analyzing poetry. If you had not yet guessed, poetry is my favorite form of literature (not that I don't appreciate others). Poetry is so compact and so paradoxically precisely imprecise that unraveling its mystery can be both challenging and, for me, exciting, especially when you get to sink your teeth into a good Donne poem, or one that's well done ;-).

On Friday, I will not be in class since I will be taking our school's winner to POL coaching for the state competition in February. Mr. Goodman will be your substitute, and you will work on some AP MC questions based on passages from Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

I know we need to discuss the aforementioned novel in class, and we will; however, I feel compelled to spend one more week on poetry, since it is so rich and writing about it can be challenging. Bring your Perinne's text on Tuesday (the smaller brown book), and we will look at a few sets of comparative poetry. On Friday of next week, I will expect you to complete an in-class timed essay on a poem or pair of comparative poems, so be mentally prepared for that task.

I am looking forward to seeing you all again!

Mrs. SO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments