Wednesday, September 5, 2012

September 4-7, 2012

Greetings Students!

It's hard to believe week three is upon us.  But here we are! I hope everyone is adjusting to the new format and etexts. I am sure that before long we will wonder how we ever did things the old way.

Here are my plans for our classes this week:

Monday is a holiday!

Pre-APEnglish 10

This week we will continue with our discussion of Poe. I hope you have read all the associated texts. You can easily locate etexts of all his works individually. Remember I have links to the relative texts in a previous blog.

On Tuesday you will complete your summaries on Poe's biography in Write to Learn. Upload the final draft to Edmodo with the assignment I have created for you there.

Wednesday we will finish our discussion of "The Masque of the Red Death" and begin reviewing "The Pit and the Pendulum." Consider this text an allegory. You must determine what things are symbols and what they symbolize to create a second level of reading.

Thursday we will discuss The Gold Bug and I will post various Poe essay topics on WtL.

Friday we will conclude our current study of Poe and work on a culminating essay.

English 12

This week we will complete our review of Lord of the Flies. I will be giving you several LotF essay topics from which to choose for your culminating activity. I also will review with you the personal/college entrance essay and showing you some examples. I will post these essays on Write to Learn so you can get initial feedback before peer reviews. See Edomodo for due dates and to upload final drafts for grading.

APEnglish Literature and Composition 12

This week we will conclude our discussion of HtRLLaP. Be prepared to read the story "The Garden Party" in the chapter called "Test Case." Come to class prepared to discuss in depth the different ways to analyze this text. Apply as many chapters to the text as possible.

Then read the following short stories:
Once Upon a Time
Miss Brill
Desiree's Baby
The Japanese Quince
Where are You Going Where Have You Been
The Yellow Wallpaper
I Stand Here Ironing


I will be adding the story "Clothes" as soon as I get a copy of it.
Your task is to come to class prepared to discuss these texts in a scholarly fashion. Take notes. Bring questions. Select passages that you think warrant discussion and be prepared to discuss them.
We will also use this handout on analyzing fiction.

You will be writing an essay on one or more of the aforementioned texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments